Cooling System Maintenance Tips
A well maintained cooling system can prevent wear on your engine. Here are some tips you can use to avoid breakdowns:
- Check coolant level. Always keep your engine coolant filled to the correct level by topping up as necessary.
- Flush and fill. Overtime your engine coolant wears out and can become contaminated. Have your system flushed and fill with fresh coolant according to your owner’s manual.
- Flush your engine. The cleaner your engine is, the cooler it will run, preventing wear and tear.
- Inspect hoses for cracks or holes. Hoses in the cooling system need to remain sealed to provide proper protection.
- Check for leaks and have any external or internal leaks inspected and repaired.
- Look for wear. Have your radiator and fan inspected for wear
- Use your heater if your vehicle begins to overheat and open the windows. The heater will help dissipate the heat as the interior fan directs air across the heater core.
Your owner’s manual will indicate the ideal frequency for maintenance on your engine cooling and Automotive Techniques is the ideal place to get it done.