Transmission Maintenance Tips
Your car’s transmission is one of the most costly components to replace or repair. Here are some tips that will help to prevent problems before they start.
- Check your fluid. Low or dirty fluid increases wear on components. The proper amount of clean fluid will extend the life of your transmission. Change your transmission fluid in accordance with the maintenance schedule recommended by your car’s manufacturer.
- Change filters regularly. A dirty or clogged filter will restrict the flow of fluid and can cause erratic shifting, damaging components.
- Watch for leaks. If you see reddish transmission fluid beneath your car, you may have a leak somewhere. Ignoring it could seriously damage your transmission.
- Feel your clutch. If you have a manual transmission, you will be aware of how the clutch feels when you shift. If you detect a change, such as shuddering or less resistance, contact Speedy for an inspection to resolve the issue.
- Check your owner’s manual to find out how often you should have a transmission service inspection. Our service professionals can help you keep your car’s transmission system – manual or automatic – in the best shape possible.